Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Spoon

It was a long Labor Day weekend.  Saturday found us at the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz.  On Sunday I biked up to the Kings Mountain Art Fair, met the family, pounded a pancake breakfast (including the kids leftovers), and kept my purchases to a single item.  A beautiful handcrafted rice spoon made from Manzanita.  There was a similar looking spatula/rice paddle that had an even nicer grain contrast, but alas I had to acknowledge that it was better suited for stickier short grain rice.  I thought a nice spoon would add to the ritual of the rice and bean production.  And Emily thinks it will be nice to toss out the old wood spoons because she doesn't think the gunk in the cracks "adds flavor" to the dish.  Lastly, on Monday Aunt Josie took us all rock climbing for our first time.  Convincing the kids not to be scared went a long way in distracting myself from being scared.  I was feeling good until I looked down from the top.

Today, we had a nice simple dish of plain rice and beans with sautéed zucchini topped with parmesan cheese.  Just what I've been wanting, something simple.  Emily must have read my mind (or my blog).

1 comment: